How to make Aleppo soap
Aleppo soap comes obviously from Aleppo-Syria. It is a ancient traditional cold process soap well-known to treat any type of skin condition eg. eczema, psoriasis, acne . The key ingredient in this soap is Laurel berry oil which is quite expensive to get as it is an obtained oil- from manually pressing the laurel berries. This how Aleppo soap gets that distinctive beautiful dark earthy green color.
Aleppo soap in Syria follows same recipe and method as basic olive soap – Castilla or Marseilles but using Laurel berry oil /laurel fruit oil (which is very expensive ) but you have 2 alternatives options:
- Buy small amount and mix it with the olive oil in your recipe . Maybe you could start with 20-25% of laurel fruit oil in your recipe. https://www.mysticmomentsuk.com/products/laurel-berry-carrier-oil?variant=2218164682776
- Use bay leaves infused oil instead (use hot infuse method). You could also add Laurel essential oil (Laurus nobilis) to the soap to enhance its benefits . But the active ingredients from the bay leaves are much less concentrated and different from the berries.
If you happen you have a laurel tree in your garden or where you live here is the artisan method to obtain the oil
Handmade Laurel berry/fruit oil
You need to collect laurel berries or laurel fruit , make sure you are collecting the right variety of laurel “Laurus nobilis” not any other that are poisonous .
For example from 600 grms of laurel berries you will extract 30 grams of laurel berry oil . It is actually a butter-like. Very thick and sticky
- Mash the berries up with pestle and mortar
- Cover with water and simmer for 30 min
- Sieve the berries by pressing the berries as much as you can.
- The remain liquid is a mixture of water and oil extracted from the berries.
- Leave the mixture to rest for 24-48 hours
- The oil/butter like will separate/float over the water
- Scoop the oil and paste (brownish colour) out
- Put the oil paste to simmer again until the water residues evaporate
- You will be left with the pure clean laurel berry oil with its distinctive dark green color.
- This laurel fruit oil is double concentrated in active ingredients than laurel bay leaves. But it all depends if you are able to find laurel berries where you live. If not then you have to infuse laurel bay leaves through traditional oil infusion method: cold or hot process . I suggest hot process because they are hard leaves.
Aleppo soap is ancient soap made in Syria well-known for its therapeutic properties to treat all type of skin conditions. It is a great anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, healing and soothing soap.
My next soapmaking class in Dublin is Saturday 16th June
If you can’t make it you can get my self-study soapmaking notes to learn how to make soap from scratch here
La Mayca x
Mayca Fernandez@WapoBeauty www.wapo.ie has created these skincare recipes, formula and information based on knowledge , training and experience . They are given in good faith and WapoBeauty is not taking responsibility in mistakes, faults or damages result from making these products. These skincare recipes are for personal use ONLY. Please do not share or distribute for commercial purposes. If you are receiving these recipes from someone else that is not Wapobeauty please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 2018 – WapoBeauty