Scarves, knitted caps, and gloves are excellent for keeping your body warm, but what about the skin that’s hiding beneath them? In winter, we could all use some natural skincare hacks to keep away scaly skin. Sometimes, regularly applying cream just isn’t enough to keep our skin healthy during the colder months of the year. To get down to the bottom of things and defeat dry skin, we need to go deep inside our skincare routines. Let’s take a look at the natural skincare hacks you’ll love this winter.
BOLSTER YOUR ROUTINE
Most of us feel less motivated to leave the warmth of our beds or sofas to keep up with our regular skincare routine before bed or early in the morning. However, wintertime is harder on your skin, and not only do you need to maintain that routine, but you need to amplify it. The best way to do that is by switching up your products and spending a little more time on your skincare routine. If you’re looking to avoid ‘winter face,’ i.e., dry and tired skin or chapped lips, then that extra time spent on your skin will make all the difference.
Some ideas of how to bolster your routine are:
- Switching to a more potent face serum (retexturising, brightening, etc.)
- Choose body oils instead of creams or butters, especially if you suffer from dry skin
- Use toners and astringents sparingly as that can make skin much drier
- Avoid products with alcohol and fragrances that can strip your skin of its natural oils
MOISTURISE WITH A CAPITAL ‘M’
Lighter serums, moisturisers, or creams are better for warm months. Although during autumn and winter, you’ll need to opt for thicker products. As mentioned in our Summer to Autumn Skincare Guide, thicker moisturisers, oils, or balms are the real secret to keeping your skin healthy in colder months. You want to choose products that not only repair your skin, but also provide a barrier against cold air and wind. These products will help prevent skin irritation and overdrying that can lead to painful, broken skin.
REMEMBER YOUR SPF
Just because it’s no longer warm and sunny all the time, doesn’t mean you need to give up on sunscreen. Giving your skin protection against the sun’s rays is essential all year round. UVA and UVB rays can still penetrate clouds and windows, ageing your skin and hurting skin cells at the same time. Put a stop to photo ageing by keeping up with your SPF and applying it to any part of your body that comes in contact with the sun’s rays.
DOSE UP ON VITAMIN C
You already know that Vitamin C is a lifesaver when it comes to boosting your immune system and preventing the common cold. Well, studies have also shown that Vitamin C is great for maintaining the skin’s firmness. It even stimulates collagen and elastin production, which can help your skin appear plumper. Vitamin C also helps decrease dark spots and hyper-pigmentation, thereby evening out your winter skin tone.
Beyond these four key skincare hacks, there are a few other things you can do to improve your winter skin.
- Invest in a humidifier – Winter air is cold and dry, which can really affect your skin. Humidifiers can help prevent overdrying of the skin by adding moisture to the air. If you spend more time at work, you might even benefit from having one there, as well. The idea is to add moisture to the air in the rooms where you spend most of your time.
- Lower your thermostat – When the weather outside is frightful, we tend to hike up the temperature inside to keep ourselves warm. Unfortunately, doing this can wreak havoc on your skin. You might be cozy, but you won’t be doing your skin any favours. Instead, opt for a happy medium between the temperatures of 20°C and 25°C. Anything above that may hurt your skin’s health.
- Monitor your shower time – We all love a nice, warm shower on a chilly morning to help us feel human again. Nonetheless, the reality is that overindulging in long, hot showers is not great for your skin. The same goes for washing your hands! Cooler water is better for fighting off germs and doesn’t irritate your skin as much as warm water. The ideal conditions for winter are a 5-10 minute shower with lukewarm water. As for washing your hands, avoid water that’s too hot and when drying opt for barely damp rather than completely dry hands.
Winter months don’t have to leave your skin cold, dry, cracked, and chapped! With these natural skincare hacks, you’ll be able to maintain lovely, healthy skin all winter. Enjoy your holiday season even more by learning how to craft handmade gifts for those you love. Sign up for WapoBeauty’s Making Natural Skincare Christmas Gifts workshop on November 30th in Dublin. Attendees will have plenty of holiday joy as they indulge in hot cocoa and wait for their creations to set!
ABOUT OUR BLOGGER:
Ashuni Pérez is an American writer based in Valencia, Spain. She has a passion for natural beauty and the environment. Ashuni loves to cycle and drink smoothies in the sun. Follow her on Instagram at @ashuuuuni